Horn of Africa
Ethiopia, located in northeastern part of Africa known as HORN OF AFRICA. Bordered by ERITEAR in north, NORTH and SOUTH SUDAN in the west and south-west respectively, DJIBOUTI in the east, SOMALI in south-east and KENYA in the south is armed with different land features resulted from different geological formations/activities that varies from 4620 meters above sea level—top of MOUNT RAS DASHEN in the north and DALOL DEPRATION -116 meters bellow see level in its north-east called Afar.
Location and Interaction of Konso—any business should be located in a way its customers can have easy access to buy and consume its products. In this connection, the family owners of Konso Korebta Lodge selected Konso to be a good market center because of its location on roads that connects Karat from four directions. Visitors from Kenya to visit the Omo Valley of Ethiopia pass through Moy ale and Yabello. On their way, they visit Konso and stay overnight in Karat. Travelers starting their trip to Omo Valley again cross Karat. The third road that Karat interacts is through Addis Ababa—Jima. Visitors to Maji-Surma tourists’ site stay few days in the Omo Valley to enjoy nature and culture and stay in Karat to admire its nature and culture and continue their trip to a direction they planned to go. Fourthly, visitors stayed in Kenya drive to Lake Turk Ana, come to Omo Rate, cross Omo River to visit nature and culture of Omo Valley and drive to Konso–Karat to visit and to stay overnight.
Similar to other Ethiopians the live of the people mainly depends up on subsistence and mixed agriculture. Indigenous Oral Knowledge to apply Landscape & Environmental Conservation enabled them to devise control mechanism and protect soil from erosion to keep soil fertility and conserving method which is mostly used by “Atanta” Farmers. Most of Konso people primarily cultivating rain fed crop farming mainly cereals of varied types while those living in the peripheral area rear domestic animals, still others use traditional bee hives to collect honey. Coffee and Chate (stimulating plant) are cash crops of Konso people that enable them to earn insignificant income.
THE GREAT RIFT VALLEY
Between these two extreme land feature, Plateau-high but table land features at the top, river valleys and gorge. The other major land feature of Ethiopia is THE GREAT RIFT VALLEY result from extensive and spectacular faulting. This extensive faulting in turn has created the EASTERN and WESTERN ESCARPMENTS. These east and west escarpments are armed with GREAT MASISIFS creating the SOUTHEASTERN and WESTERN HIGHLANDS with associated SEMI-ARID lowlands in eastern and western parts of Ethiopia.
CLIMATE—the climate of Ethiopia is mainly deter med by its varied topographic features. Related to the land features, Ethiopia has cool temperate high lands with an elevation of 2500 meters above sea level, moderate warm land climate between 1500 and 2500 meters and hot lowlands lying bellow 1500 meters above sea level. Types of climate are classified by taking climatic factors in to consideration namely, altitude, wind, pressure, temperature and rainfall. The highest mean maximum temperature in the country reaching 45 degree centigrade is over the DALOL DEPRESSION.
The second highest mean maximum temperature 35 to 40 degree centigrade is experienced over the western and southeastern lowlands. Annual rainfall in Ethiopia is seasonal determined by trade winds of which Southwest trade wind brings much of the rain to Ethiopia while the northeast carries scanty rain as a result the southwestern part gets over 280mm and northwestern gets about 100mm annually.
We assume that having information or knowledge of climate in Ethiopia will help travelers to decide seasons of their trip to the country. In this connection mean maximum temperature is higher from March to May while mean minimum temperature is lower from November to December. The seasonal rainfall takes place being highest from July to part of September over most of the highlands and plateaus.
In March and April some parts of the country like the Eastern escarpment of the Arsi-Bale Mountains, central and northern highlands get rain. September and October supply rain to western and southwestern low lands.
Fauna and Flora of a country is determined by altitude, latitude, soil types and climate. Ethiopia with varied physical features and climatic conditions has a great number of species of plants, birds and mammals.
In connection to physical features of a country such as altitudes, and climatic factors really help travelers to make trip to different parts of the country that touches and satisfies their group or individual interest and as well helps pre tour/pre travel preparation to adjust human wants and needs on their trip to the given environment they travel to.
ETHIOPIA AND ITS HIGHLAIGHTS:
- A country with unique land features varied from 4620 meters above sea level–RAS DASHEN MOUNTAIN to 116 meters below sea level—DALLOL DEPRESSION
- The unique land feature resulted in different climatic group—COOL TEMPERATURE HIGHLAND above 2500 meters, MODERATE CLIMATE between 1500 and 2500 meters above sea level, HOT CLIMATE laying below 1500 above sea level
- A country with THIRTEEN MONTHS OF SUN—SHINE—September 11 being our new year, we have 12 months with a distribution of 30 days equally and a short month with 5 or 6 days referring to the lip year. All these months never sun rise either in the morning or in the afternoon even during the high rainy seasons which makes Ethiopia
- Water Tower of North and North-east Africa—big rivers like Blue Nile, Baro and Tekeze feed water the lands of both Sudan (north and south) and Egypt, Gibe Rive that changes its name to Omo River in its lower course joins Lake Turk Ana of Kenya, Wabi Shebelle and Ghenale flow to Somali while River Awash economically important river to Ethiopia joins Lake Abe of Djibouti. The other water bodies of Ethiopia are the Rift Valley lakes which are home and feeding ground of both aquatic and terrestrial colorful birds attracting and satisfying needs of travelers for ornithological tour.
- Home of Endemic Plants Birds and Mammals—the different geological activities on Ethiopia have formed a different land feature which in turn has resulted in different soil types. The different soil types associated with different climatic and altitudes helped the country to be the owner of varied plants, birds and mammals some of which are endemic that invites travelers to spot different tourism commodities at a type or during a single trip.
- The First Foot Print of Human-Kind—the study taken place by many Paleontologists identified Ethiopia as THE CRADLE OF HUMAN-KIND
- Mosaic of Culture —-Where tourists visit different ethnic groups with different language, ways of economic activities, different ways of dressing themselves, building their houses, and making hair styles. All these differences are spotted within a short drive (off course determined by climate, altitude, latitude, soil types and vegetation.)
- Historically an Old Nation beyond One can imagine–its 3000 years stated by historians, Ethiopia has experienced ups and downs, war and peace but put historical steles, Temples, Monuments, Monasteries and Churches, Mosque and Shines, and a Wall.
- A country having its own Alphabet, Numbers and Calendar—cultural development that has been contributed by Orthodox Christian Church.
- Symbol of Freedom—as of the 16th century outside invaders focused to colonize it but cherishes its independence and national unity. The aspiration of colonizers to control its geopolitical position, natural resources and moderate climate defended by its diversified people but having united force against invaders. All colonized nations aspired for their freedom after united Ethiopian forces led by Menelik II and his famous war leaders like Gobena Dachew, Ras Mekonon, Alula Aba Nega, Gebeyehu, Balcha Aba Nefso, Shek Hojelle and others from different ethnic group defeated Italians (one of the powerful countries) at the Battle of Adwa in 1896. The same country-Italy invaded Ethiopia again during II World War but kept in cities and town for five years because of the united patriot Ethiopians. They non peaceful control of Italians over Ethiopia (because of the guerrilla fighting patriots from the bushes) ended up in 1945.
- Where religions like Animism, Judaism, Christianity and Muslims are experienced and between two religious groups- CHRISTANIS and MUSLIMS leaving in harmony.
The highlights of Ethiopia stated above are as well the main significant part of tourism commodities which in turn resulted in offering four-in-one tourism attractions and tourism commodities such as nature, culture, historic and event to visitors.
Ethiopia’s objective in tourism industry is to become sustainable tourists’ destination. The strong relationship of Ethiopian Tour Operators with ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES and others airlines are the leading means of transport to Ethiopia(because 90% arrivals of foreign tourists use flights).As a result visitors numbers are rising exponentially.
Our well known tourism commodities, namely, natural attraction–the chain of mountains of northern Ethiopia with the highest pick Ras Dashen, Active Volcano of Art Ale with associated Dallol Depression consisting of moderate to hot climate, Fauna and Flora including birds (some of which are endemic) and the Rift Valley Lakes home of different specious of birds with attractive and varied colors are the significant natural attractions that made Ethiopia unmissable destination of international tourists.
PHOTOS OF MOUNTAIN FAUNA, FLORA AND BIRDS
The above natural beauty of Ethiopia is legend without its great number of people. These natural beauties are inhabited by population over 100 million consisting of peoples speaking over 85 language, having smiling face, friendly approach attractive hospitality to welcome visitors. We Ethiopians feel proud of talking about our country as it is A COUNTRY OF UNITY WITHIN DIVERSITY and DIVERSITY IS OUR BEAUTY. Our diversity in different ethnic groups, speaking different languages, and following different religions such as Animism, Judaism, Christianity and Islam doesn’t hinder us from leaving together in harmony. This by itself is one of the tourism commodities the country offers to international tourists because these religions have each of their own EVENT TOURISM ATTRACTIONS some of which are Erecha by our Oromo Ethiopians, Chembelala by Sidama Ethiopians, Deraro by Gedio, Shi kokoboch New Year by all Ethiopians–September 11, Meske—the foundation of the True Cross celebrated on September 27-28, Muslim holidays like January 07-Ethiopian Christmas, January 18-19 Ethiopian Epiphany and April -True Friday
HIGHLIGHTS OF TOURISM COMMODITIESAND DESTINATIONS
Ethiopia is a land covered by attractive and breathe taking natural beauty, colorful culture with smiling face and heartfelt hospitality having their own historical facts and sites and event attractions(holidays) celebrated by different ethnic and religious groups. Whether its nature, culture, history, event, fun or epicurean delights, it is not only possible to find something for everyone to satisfy travel needs in Ethiopia, we can say one is in Ethiopia overwhelmed by the choice. We assure any visitor as there are a plethora of unique activities available for visitors.
The thorough study taken place by UNESCO over nature, culture, history and event beauties in Ethiopia has resulted in registering the natural heritages such as The Chain of the Semien Mountains-the Semien Mountains National Park, Lower Valley of Awash River, Lower Omo Valley, Bale Mountains National Park (home of endemic natural beauties), Historic regional capitals and others like the Rock hewn churches of Lalibela, Axum Steles and its archeological sites and churches, Places of Gondar built by King Fassil and his followers, Harar Walls and its Jegole, the natural and cultural sites of Konso with its WAKA—Monuments of Konso people on their grave yard and Tiya steles are among many that are considered as heritage sites.
Tourism professionals and Tour Operators have classified Ethiopia into Four Main Tourism Circuits each having similar but at the same time different attractions.
These are the Northern Circuit embracing natural, cultural, historical and event attractions.
The Southern and south eastern circuit mainly nature (Bale Mountain National Park, The Rift Valley lakes are inhabited by colorful birds, mammals, and plants-mainly endemic culture to a degree historical including stylistic houses of Dorzie, Gourage, Sidama and Hadia and event attractions annually celebrated by different ethnic groups are the main points to visit.
The Eastern Circuit—Afar, Harar and Somali consists of nature, culture Active Volcanoes with colorful Potash, Shrines and Mosques and historical sites and finally,
The South west and western Ethiopia covers Omo Valley, Gambella, and Benishangle- Goumuze that are rich in natural (parks) Cultural and historical attractions.